Saturday, June 25, 2011

Religious Conversations While Getting My Hair Cut

As I sat in the stylist's chair, the conversation gravitated to what part of town I lived in. From there, which neighborhood. I told her our house is for sale, as my family plans to move to Columbus, Ohio, in about a year. I told her I was going back to school. When asked what I was going to be studying, I said I was going to seminary. She seemed impressed. Then the conversation took the religious turn, which is okay by me... But then this conversation got on the whole "gay marriage – this country is losing its morals" train—then I wasn't so comfortable. I politely said that I think the real problem is that so many pastors and religious people expend so much energy denouncing gay marriage and similar issues, while staying silent on more-pressing ones. Like poverty. And homelessness. And the lack of education and clean water to around two billion people in the world.

And so this conversation was another needed step in my theological development.

I'm finding that I don't like drawing lines in the sand and picking sides. Or picking battles, for that matter. I'd rather rejoice that, through Jesus Christ, grace is given to all. I'd rather celebrate diversity and differing opinions. I'd rather work for justice with my hands, instead of my mouth.

The world is gray, my friends. It is not black and white. Everyone has scars and skeletons in their closet. Everybody is just trying to figure out life the best that they can. Yes, the world is falling apart...but this isn't a new thing. If you believe in good, then you probably believe in evil. Don't act surprised when man's corrupt ways pollute the world we live in. It'll be okay. Tomorrow's another day. And we all have the ability to do some good while we're here.

No comments: