Monday, June 13, 2011

A Not-So-Simple Challenge

A challenge:
  • Choose to put your cell phone away for a week...do not use it. After that week, find someone who is a drug addict. Then say to them, "I understand what you're going through."

Because if you think it's hard to live without a cell phone (or Facebook or e-mail or whatever), then imagine how hard it is for a heroine addict who has become physically dependent on the drug. Cause what I'm seeing in our culture is an addiction to handheld devices. When you see a parent at the playground or in a restaurant with their little child and they are constantly browsing their cell phone, that looks like addiction to me. And it occurred to me that we look down upon drug addicts in our society, while other addictions (texting while driving, for example) seem to be socially acceptable. Addiction is addiction, right? Is a drug addiction more detrimental to others than a texting driver?

Just something to think about. And I say this not as someone who claims exemption from this...I have plenty of addictions. And that's just the point.

No comments: