Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A Great Story In An Unlikely Place: Steak N' Shake

My family and I were out shopping recently and decided to stop at Steak N' Shake for lunch. It was a Saturday, and the restaurant was crowded. We waited a few minutes, were politely seated, and then were looking over our menus. I noticed a young man walk in and could tell he was an employee. He clocked in and jumped right into work. His first table of the day turned out to be a very interesting sideshow for anyone within view. This waiter was unsteadily carrying his table's soda-and-milkshake order when...yep...the soda spilled all over the table. No big deal, right? These things happen. Well, these things do happen, but, unfortunately, some people are restaurant snobs and have come to think that "these things" shouldn't happen. Ever.

The waiter then apologized and proceeded to clean up the mess. As he returned with the food order and new drinks, I saw this family stand up—I couldn't hear all the words they said, but could read their lips pretty well—and tell the waiter that they were leaving. They seemed quite annoyed and then left, of course, without paying. I was talking about the incident with my wife when I saw another gentleman walk over to this waiter and say, "What's your name, son?" "Joel." "Joel, you're going to be my waiter today. I'll let you get this table cleaned up and then we want to sit here." The man then put his hand on Joel's shoulder, looked at the other waiters, and said, "Joel here is my waiter today." By this point I was more intrigued by this incident than by my own meal.

The mess was cleaned up and Joel waited on his "new" table. Another woman who saw the spilled-soda fiasco offered Joel an encouraging hug as she left. It was so amazing to see the ugliness of man and the generosity of man in that context. You had one family who attempted to belittle this young waiter who accidentally spilled a soda. Then, because of that ugliness, you had several others who stepped up to show the waiter that mistakes happen and life goes on. It was kind of inspiring.

It was great to see that all people aren't selfish jerks. And I mean that in a sincere way. I've seen far too many people talk down to a cashier or a person behind the counter, acting as if they're entitled to some absurd level of service that no person can really achieve. So to see these acts of kindness in a Steak N' Shake was refreshing. It helped me to remember to check my attitude at the door. Those who work in the retail industry are human...they're not robots programmed to meet our every want and need. Treat people with the respect and dignity that you want to be treated with. Especially when they spill a soda.

No comments: