Saturday, December 6, 2008

Passions

This is intended to be a quick, on-the-run blog, as it's Saturday and there's errands to run and life to live (apart from this laptop). I feel motivated right now, though, to write briefly about passions. Being passionate about things in life is so important. I realized this as I was reading through a college friend's blogspot site. She is raising money to return to Africa, where she will teach and counsel others in the mission field. This, right now, is her life's work and her life's passion. Service. Selfless service. She is passionate and that passion speaks quite loud from her Web site. That made me think about my current passions. I'm passionate about my field of work, ministry, but it's not quite as black and white as that. That's very broad. I am finding myself passionate about so many things – using my graphic design skills for the Lord, leading classes that teach others how to handle money responsibly, coordinating a course that will help couples in their marriages, starting small groups that will deeply connect young adults at our church, helping those in our community who don't have enough. The list continues to grow. It's kind of weird. Some days I just go through the motions and kind of forget to look at the big picture. I forget why I do what I do. I'm passionate about justice, but what am I doing to seek justice for others? I'm not a doom-and-gloom person; there are many good things in this world and I try to focus on those things. But our economy is suffering and while I don't care if a CEO has to take a pay cut ('bout time), I do care about the guy that just lost his job and has to carry that weight on him as Christmas approaches. Let us find our passions and do something, anything, to live them out.

http://sendmeghantoafrica.blogspot.com

No comments: