Tuesday, March 4, 2008

What Pro-choice Is Not

Until recently, I believed I was firmly pro-life. Don't worry, this blog won't get too political. Politics seem to have an agenda—I don't. My only goal is to engage readers' minds and share my point of view. In this blog, I'd like to expand on what I believe pro-choice is not.

Pro-choice is not pro-abortion. Pro-choice is not anti-life. Pro-choice is not unChristian. Pro-choice is not Democratic, nor is it anti-Republican. Pro-choice doesn't mean that you're evil. It doesn't mean you have a disregard for human life.

Right now some readers are agreeing with my writing and some are vehemently opposed. But remember, I began by saying that, until recently, I was firmly pro-life. To add a little more confusion, let me say that I still value life. I'm still anti-abortion. But let's take a quick look at what pro-choice means to me and why I believe America should take a pro-choice stance.

To put it metaphorically, Americans have opened Pandora's Box. Yes, we've opened the door to the act of abortion. It's too late to go back and try to 'uninvent' it or forget that it exists. With that said, I believe banning abortion in this country would have the same effect that prohibition had. If people want alcohol, they'll find ways to get alcohol. Certain drugs are illegal in America and yet their use is as rampant as ever. The difference with abortion is the potential effect it can have on two human lives—mother and child. The taking of one human life is horrible enough. If abortion is banned, many young, scared mothers-to-be will seek out abortion in unsafe and often very dangerous ways. I've heard this called "back-alley abortions." If abortion is banned, there is a greater potential for two human lives to be lost rather than just one.

So let's say pro-choice is the lesser of two evils.

I hope and pray that abortions will cease. But it's not likely when we live in a world such as ours. So with that, I believe that safe and legal procedures should be available for this choice, even if it's a choice I would never want a woman to make.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Talking about the Pro-life/Pro-choice issue is something I don't do very often for the same reasons I don't like talking about politics. However, I know I can express my view with you and feelings won't be hurt.
I do agree with you with the fact that America has opened a Pandora's Box with the Roe v. Wade decision. I also agree that there will be back-alley abortions if abortions are made illegal. But I disagree with your line of thinking about being Pro-Choice.
There is a much bigger issue here than woman getting back-alley abortions. It is about taking a firm stand in what is good and evil, right and wrong. We still have the gift of free will and the devil will always find a way to get to us whether or not abortions are legal or not. It isn't right for us to say Pro-choice is okay because we have this choice. We have the choice to steal, kill, or commit adultery. It still doesn't make okay.
We are only held accountable for our own decision and actions when we stand in front of God on Judgment day. We will also be held accountable for the influence and example we set for others. In that case, I see no other choice but to be Pro-life. For the women (and men) who make their own choice regarding the sanctity of human life, they will also have to answer to God on Judgment Day.
Just my personal thoughts.